Hi everyone! This Saturday I’ll be doing a demo from 1-3pm
at the new All Things Local store in Amherst, (where Souper Bowl used to be, next to CVS)
Visitors will get to pour their own lip balms and decorate labels (I’ll have blank ones and colored pencils, that’s half the fun) and learn all about the process of making lip balm, which is a VERY easy thing to do, by the way… I’m sure I’ll also be explaining about salves and herb oils, because the process is similar. (Once you learn about herb oils you can make herbally infused culinary oils as well…)
I have a few Make-your-own lip balm kits left for sale, a couple at the store, and hope to have more put together by Saturday for people that want them. They are selling like hotcakes! (What is a hotcake, anyway? I picture a molton chocolate cake, warm gooey pudding center…Oh right, I don’t eat sugar anymore…) But seriously, there are at least 40 kids in the Valley learning to make lip balm right now, from my kits, maybe more if you include siblings and friends, and I LOVE that kids are learning to be more self-sufficient. It’s very empowering, which is what most kids really need these days…
SO, come on by the store 1-3 Saturday, or just go there when you’re in town, because it’s really a great store. The idea behind it is that producers manage their own inventory, and 20% of sales goes to the store, the other 80% we get back (as opposed to 50 or 60% in most stores). It’s a proven model, started by Local Roots in Wooster, Ohio. This is what All Things Local says on their site:
“We seek to improve food security, enhance local employment, advance community and regional economic well-being, and promote sustainable living by offering a marketplace for locally produced goods in the Pioneer Valley.
You may think of us as a year-round, indoor farmers market and crafts market, where the producers receives up to 80% of the price they set on the products they choose to sell.
Over 475 members have already joined the cooperative. Please contribute to our vision by joining today!”
That’s my sales pitch : ) I don’t get any kickbacks if you join, by the way, but it’s wonderful to support. It’s a great store, for everyone. I notice Sharon at Simple Shoemaking (from whom I learned to make shoes) has just about sold out of her adorable baby shoes. And if I don’t make it to the Amherst Winter Market on Saturdays I can get my local grass-fed beef, whole pasture chicken (frozen, not live), organic spinach and veggies almost any day of the week (not Monday, they’re closed.) The cafe is now open, as well.
We still have my family’s organic olive oil for sale. I may bring some with me on Saturday for people who need it, don’t want to drive to Shutesbury, and have read thru this entire post!
Hope to see you there! Either way have a wonderful holiday season, remember to slow down and breathe, and “put your own mask on first” as we say here – it means,
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Blessings, sarah
ps. – the tins now have the USDA organic circle on them, in case you were wondering, this is an old picture!!
And also, these make GREAT gifts…
Also, if you’re looking for my products elsewhere, Green Fields Market in Greenfield and Acadia Herbals in Northampton also carry them locally, as well as the North Quabbin Community Coop in Orange, MA, and Jean’s Greens in Castleton, NY! thanks!